Wednesday, May 26, 2010

France v Costa Rica preview

France is heading to Lens to play their first warm up match versus Costa Rica - the team that lost to Uruguay in the playoff between CONCACAF and South America. Clearly this match will be watched to see if Domenech does actually go with a 4-3-3 formation slotting Malouda, Toulalan and Gourcuff as the middle 3 as well as who the French manager decides to use up front. It will also be a test for Gallas, can his calf hold up? Unlike other World Cup warm up matches, this one, and the next 2 are much more important for Les Bleus. Why? If Domenech is going to change his style of play these are the games where the system will need to be implemented and tested. I do think it is a move in the right direction, unfortunately it was an injury to LDiarra that forced Domenech's hand. Better late than never I guess!

Probable formation:

Lloris
Sagna, Abidal, Gallas, Evra
Gourcuff, Toulalan, Malouda
Gignac, Henry, Ribery

According to Livesoccertv the game will be on TV5 as well as ESPN3.

Allez les Bleus

2 comments:

Adam said...

I welcome the experimentation. I'm doubtful about Gignac on the right wing. I can't wait to see how this pans out, but for the time being you have convinced me that Anelka is a better choice as RW (I still prefer Ribery there with an unbalanced formation).

GFC said...

I very doubtful about Gignac on the right wing, or any wing for that matter! I agree on Anelka, I think he is much more apt at holding the right wing and could easily tuck in behind Henry as a secondary striker, similar to what Anelka does at Chelsea.

Granted I would much rather have Nasri on the right! Alas, maybe once Laurent Blanc takes over we can see Nasri back in the team.