- Get to the 1/4 finals...through the trap door. That is about all that was good. At least France live to fight another day. If Les Bleus put together a good showing versus Spain, even....gasp beat the Spanish this loss will be a distant memory. Let us not forget that Les Bleus were heading home at this stage last two tournaments...need to focus on the sliver of positive!
- Okay I have to say the Ibrahimovic goal was amazing. Hitting a volley from that angle was nothing short of spectacular. Hats off to the Swede for that piece of artistry. No highlights yet live but check the web or TV for the replay.
|Thing of beauty...|
- One more "good" were it not for Lloris, France would have lost 4-0. He was the only French player that showed up today. Big saves in the second half, nothing he could do on both goals.
- France France France...Les Bleus were awful today. They were beyond bad. Only needing a draw they played like it. They had no heart no game no desire. France looked from the start of the game the team that was about to head home for the summer. They played flat. Unacceptable.
- Ben Arfa, was completely invisible. I was expecting him to come in and bring some real width for France. Much like what Menez did in the Ukraine game. Instead, he kept drifting back to the middle of the park. And even there he was invisible. He unleashed one strike from distance but otherwise was a complete no factor. I expected much more from Le Petit Prince.
- No strikers for France! Yes I realize Benzema is France's striker, but really? The fact he wears #10 is very appropriate, why? Because he drops so deep really playing a #10 role. Against England and Sweden it was frustrating to see that France was facing a flat back 4 that had no threat of any striker. Once Giroud entered the game it opened up some space for the attack. I realize that Blanc said he does not want to play two strikers, but is Benzema really playing the #9?
- Mexes gets a yellow...the French libero got a silly yellow which coupled with the yellow from last game means he is out for the 1/4 finals. Wait...hold on...maybe this is good since he had some serious brain farts in this game! The Arsenal man Koscielny will get the start along side Rami this weekend.
- France...see above.
- France mindset heading into 1/4 final. After having their streak of games (23 games) without a loss broke, how will Les Bleus go into their next game...against Spain? This will be a huge test for Blanc. The French manager will have his work cut out for him to get his team ready on the pitch but also mentally. Blanc needs to remind the French players what they were able to build the past 2 years, the fact they got caught in today's game must be set aside. At the end of the day all the teams in the 1/4 finals have zero wins and zero losses...
Allez les Bleus...