- Gourcuff - suspended from his red card against South Africa in the last group game at the World Cup.
- Ribery - serving FFF imposed suspension for 3 games
- Evra - serving FFF imposed suspension for 5 games
- Nasri - injured
- Sissoko - also injured
- Toulalan - serving one game suspension, could have been called up but doubtful
So with that in mind here is the list:
Gardiens : Lloris, Mandanda, Carrasso
Défenseurs : Clichy, Mexès, Rami, Sagna, Sakho, Trémoulinas
Milieux de terrain : Malouda, Diaby, A. Diarra, L. Diarra, Valbuena, M’Vila, Ménez
Attaquants : Benzema, Gameiro, Hoarau, Rémy, Saha
Notable returns are the three keepers from the World Cup, not sure if Ruffier helped or hurt his chances during the Norway game. He had some good moments but also ended a bit shaky with his handling of corner kicks. On defense, Clichy and Sagna return from their one match suspension and from the looks of it, I see both of them starting on Sept 3. The recalling of Mexes and Rami is a strong indication that Blanc will go with this pairing at central defense for the near term, something I think is very positive.
In the midfield, the return of Malouda, Diaby, ADiarra and Valbuena from the World Cup ban. Interestingly no striker from the World Cup is on the list. Finally Gameiro received his first call up in what many were waiting to see.
Notable absentees -
- Ben Arfa who is in the middle of a tug of war with his club over his transfer. Blanc did send him a pre-convocation but in the end did not select him. This could be a show of respect to Blanc's former team mate and current OM manager - Deschamps. Why give a player a cap when he is acting like a child for his club.
- N'Zogbia who started against Norway, unfortunately there is competition for that left sided midfield slot - Malouda and Diaby.
Clichy, Rami, Mexes, Sagna
This will allow him to also shift to a 4-3-3 with Menez pushing up higher, but much like he plays for AS Roma, look for Menez to act like a 9 1/2 - just behind the two strikers. Malouda and Valbuena will be asked to animate the offensive game with M'Vila providing the cover and linking from the midfield. Mexes will also be asked to push high, as he does, to carry some distribution from his deep slot.
Let us see what happens over the next few days in training.