Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Les Bleus change is in the air

Looks like Les Bleus will go into the final Group match with the following formation -

Coupet - Clerc, Gallas, Abidal, Evra - Makelele, Toulalan - Ribery, Gouvou - Benzema, Henry

An infusion of youth...playing the 4-4-2 will be interesting but it really feels like a 4-2-2-2, with two holding midfielders, two wing players supporting the two strikers. I fear that we will have the same problems faced in game one, little creativity, too much space in the midfield and not enough support coming from the flanks. Makelele and Toulalan are good players in their own rights, but they are too similar in their style. Both are great at protecting the back 4 but not the most adept at jumping in the offense and when they do are no threats to score (how ironic would it be if Keke were to score the winning goal today....that would be awesome....). I like slotting Ribery to the left where he is used to playing for Bayern, and Gouvou...well he is Domenech's binky so I guess he has to play. Granted, he might form a good link between Clerc, Toulalan and Benzema all play these positions at Lyon.

I trust that Domenech will not be afraid to shift his formation if a goal is needed, maybe take out Makelele for a Nasri, play with 3 offensive midfielders, allow Toulalan to protect the back 4. You risk the counter attack but if you need a goal....you need a goal (that was deep).

I am surprisingly calm before this game. I think that I am ready for France to crash out of another tournament, I hope that if and when they do we get rid of Domenech. He has been frustrating as a national team manager. I will save my postmortem for another date, but needless to say the manager will share his fair share of blame.

France can advance and my heart says they can, but unfortunately my brain tells me that they have no heart and are already thinking about their summer vacations on the Riviera.....Italy is hungry and Buffon will find a way to get Italy a clean sheet and a win. Let us hope that Van Bastard and his band of merry Oranje men play a good game and get the victory.

Allez les Bleus

No comments: