Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Blanc backing down from Les Bleus?

As his club scored a tough fought 1-0 Champions League victory away in Greece, the mystery over whether or not Laurent Blanc will take over the reigns of the French national team post World Cup continue to get complicated. With some of his mentors chiming in and suggesting he stays at the club level for the near term as well as the man himself throwing some confusion into the process, will Laurent Blanc be deemed the next France manager?  As I have stated in the past I think the job should go to the current Marseilles manager - Didier Deschamps. To me he is a little bit more seasoned than his former France teammate.

Blanc is the latest "hot" manager available so of course he gets the most interest from the talking  heads and fans. However I agree with with Guy Roux and SAF said - Blanc needs more time at the club level, taking over the national team is a very important endeavor and not one for the faint of heart. I think that Blanc would be a good manager for France, but in 5 years he would be better. Then again almost anyone would be better than what is in place today.

3 comments:

philip said...

Hmm maybe Wenger has a chance. I think he could win something if he coached France.

GFC said...

While I have a lot of respect for Wenger I am not sure he would want to manage at the international level. He has always stated he enjoys the day to day of managing at the club level rather than only seeing his players a few days a year. I think that ideally down the road he would be a great youth scout for France - picking the best French talent - which he basically does for Arsenal already!

Anonymous said...

Best choice for coach. Eric Cantona. We wouldn't even need to win, his quotes would be enough.