Monday, March 23, 2009

Hourau gets his call up

Latest from Domenech, he has decided to call up the tall PSG striker Hourau to join Les Bleus for the next round of World Cup qualifiers. With Anelka declaring forfiet, one of the top strikers in Ligue 1 gets his chance. Question becomes, if and how will he be used during the two game series. As I have stated in prior postings, I am not sure if he fits into the grand scheme of Les Bleus. Can Hourau be the lone striker on top of the 4-2-3-1 formation? To me Hourau resembles more the style that is Trezeguet or Gomis, a big striker who acts as a "pivot," the ball going through the player acting as a distribution point for wingers and other players filling the channels. That is not how Domenech views his strikers. Domenech appears to want strikers such as Briand, Henry, Benzema, Anelka, etc that can operate alone up front, also drift deeper to pick up the ball and can take on defenders. Just not sure Hourau has these skills in his tool kit.

A deserved call up, but not sure a true fit in this team.

2 comments:

SSJ said...

How about as a "Bendtner" type to be thrown on for the last 15-20 minutes to chase a game, or to provide a target to lump it up to when protecting a lead?

Only seen a couple of PSG games this year, but didn't find him all that impressive. (Of course I evaluate every player on whether they'd be good for Arsenal).

GFC said...

I think that as a Bendtner type super sub makes a lot of sense (and I am sure he could flub numerous chances just like the Dane did a few games ago), that is exactly what I had suggested in a prior post!

I think that he is getting a lot of press (Hourau)because of PSG's resurgence but I am not 100% convinced he is a full international. I think he would be like a fish out of water if he played at the Emirates.