Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Champions league - normal service resumes

Sigh, so of the last eight teams in the Champions League, 4 are from the Prem. Now I love the Prem as much as any footie fan (Arsenal is my second team...after PSG), but I must admit I am starting wonder if the competition needs some revamping, why? It seems we see the same teams every season make the knock out stage, and the fact there might be 4 teams from the same league in the semi finals is not good for the game. One might argue, well those teams are good enough then they deserve to go as far as their talent takes them. However, I would argue that those teams are the best because the playing field is not level for everyone. Now no one would cry poor in Spain or Italy, or even Germany, but it is clear that the Premiership teams have a little bit more cash than their counterparts. I realize that we will never go back to the days when a Steau Bucharest or a Red Star Belgrade or maybe even an Ajax will contend for the Champions League, however I do believe that the European Championship needs some revamping. I need to ponder that for a while. Do you think the Champions League is a good competition?

No comments: