Thursday, April 02, 2009

Merci Ribery.....again

Oooof, once again Les Bleus secure the essential, the full three points against Lithuania and once again it took a late match score from Ribery. Unlike this past weekend at Lithuania the strike was much simpler, but the build up was very encouraging. Let me jump into the game:

The Good:
  • Once again the full 3 points, I realize that when playing the 52nd ranked team in the FIFA world rankings securing the full 3 points should not be difficult, but this Les Bleus being led by Domenech.
  • Ribery - What can you say, he saved France's bacon once again with a much simpler strike.
  • The other nice surprise was Gignac. Granted he can off the bench late and was not exactly facing the back line of Argentina. But his work rate was encouraging. He commanded the right side of the pitch and was always looking to challenge the defense.
The Bad:
  • Um only one goal again, late in the game? That is bad. No more excuses, this was Lithuania in Stade de France, so no potato patch to blame. France needs to be able to score more than 2 goals over 180 minutes against teams such as Lithuania. With the likes of Gourcuff, Ribery, Henry, et al one would expect greater scoring prowess.
The Ugly:
  • Ok I need to rail on Domenech once again, I realize this is a common theme for me, but I cannot help it. Once again I feel that the lack of any tactical ability to think outside the box is driving me crazy with the manager. Why not start a Nasri along side Diarra? Why not try to play a real "point" like Benzema? While France was never really threatened by Lithuania, they also did not win convincingly. I fear that France will eek its way into the World Cup and once again fall flat, allowing Domenech to somehow hold on to his role and waste another generation of French talent.
  • The other ugly, is the time it took me to put up this post...life sometimes gets in the way of the blog!

No comments: