Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Champions League 1/4 Draw

I am remiss that I have not given my $0.02 worth on the Champions League 1/4 final draw. So here are my thoughts:

Roma v Manchester United: The most interesting tie for the 1/4 finals. This draw takes on additional interest since these two teams met last year at the same stage where Manchester United slammed the Romans 7-1. This time around both teams are again in form, with ManU leading the Prem and Roma nipping at the heels of Inter Milan in Italy. I think that Manchester United has the advantage that they start the tie in Rome. Roma will have the pressure to head to Old Trafford with at least a two goal cushion, and will be under pressure to ensure the Red Devils do not score the all important away goal. I cannot envision Roma heading to northern England and coming out with a victory. SAF will need to ensure he avoids the trap in Rome where Roma will throw a variety of strikers/midfielders at you causing confusion in the midfield. Giggs and Scholes need not see the pitch, while they have the experience I cannot see them matching up with folks like Totti making runs through the middle. The key for AS Roma will be the play of De Rossi, can he control the midfield and be the enforcer for Roma? However I cannot see Ronaldo, Rooney, et al. being controlled by an at time erratic Roma back line...could Mexes be red carded for multiple silly fouls.... yes. Predictions: First leg draw 1-1, second leg ManU 2-1 victory, Manchester United through to the semifinals

Schalke v Barcelona: On paper this would be a win for the Spanish giant, but without Messi for the first leg and possibly second that might make one rethink. The German club will be without Rakitic which will cause some issues for their midfield. I think Schalke can win this tie, they play very well as a team and have some fire power up front with Kuranyi and co. But, Barcelona have more, even without Messi. Eto'o, Henry, Ronaldino, and Bojan will be too much to handle for the Germans. Barca showed in their mastery of Celtic in Scotland that they can travel. Prediction: First leg Barca 1-0, Second leg Barca 3-0. Barcelona through to the semifinals.

Fenebache v Chelsea: Just like the last match up, on paper this would appear to be an easy win for the Londoners. But the Turks showed me something last round winning a crazy tie with Sevilla. After being down 2-0 and then 3-1 they found a way to push the game into extra time and won on PKs. The first game being in Istanbul will be a blessing for the Blues, they should be targeting to escape the Turkish calderon with a draw. Even if they head back to Stamford Bridge down 1-0 they should feel confident they can get to the next round. However I think this tie is the most ripe for an upset. Fenebache showed no fear in their last tie against Sevilla so I do not think they will fear having to go to London. They can score goals and Grant has not shown the tactical knowledge that "The Special One" had during his time on the Chelsea side line. I have a feeling that the Turks will find a way to win at home and then go back to Stamford Bridge and hold the Blues....not sure why....but I just think there will be an upset. Prediction: First leg Fenebache 2 - Chelsea 0, second leg Fenebache 1-Chelsea 1....

Arsenal v Liverpool:
Hmmmm the biggest of all the ties...at least for EPL fans. One thing is true, at least England will have one team in the semi finals...These teams obviously know each other very well and will only get to know each other even better. Benetiz and his team will be 100% concentrating on this competition since they are out of the chase for the Premiership title. I can never bet against the Spaniard when it comes to 2 game knock out competitions. But I also believe his craftiness might be negated playing a club and manager that know him well. The main question will be can Arsenal control the red hot Torres?? The second question will be can the Arsenal strikers find the back of the net again?? Unfortunately....for a Gooner fan like myself I think no and no. I think Torres will give a currently shaky back line fits. Gallas has been off his game the last few matches and Toure is getting his legs back. Clichy has disappeared the last month. I think Torres is too hot to handle right now. The Arsenal strikers are not finding the back of the net either, maybe Adebayour should have left his long locks intact! Liverpool is the hot team right now, Arsenal appears tired. Prediction: First leg 1-1 draw, Second leg Liverpool 1 - Arsenal 0.....

Knowing my predictive skills I will be entirely wrong and we will have three English clubs in the semis and an Arsenal v Chelsea semi finals and then Arsenal v Manchester United finals...if that is the case someone please make sure Sam has medical supervision....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the SBTVD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://sbtvd.blogspot.com. A hug.http://sbtvd.blogspot.com/